MAKE YOUR SPEAKERS SING AGAIN - AND LOOK GOOD DOING IT
Don't judge it for its small size, the SA1 is made from super powerful hybrid-digital amps packing 40 ridiculously effective watts in each channel.
Translated from Hi-Fi jibberish to human, that just means this amp is ready for most speakers you could think of pairing it with. Our own passive ALTO-series speakers would be a great choice, but your flea market finds will do just as well.
Do you know Bluetooth? Then you know how to use SA1. Just pair your phone, your tablet, or any other device, and you’re good to go. There’s also inputs for your record player, your TV, or whatever you want to connect. If you decide to plug in your Sony or Samsung TV (and you should), the volume can be controlled with your standard IR-remote. You’ve also got a pre-out port in case you want to use SA1 as a fully digital pre-amp. That one is for the enthusiasts. Us simple mortals can also use it to add a subwoofer.
Let’s be real for a second here. Amps can be quite daunting. Most often they’re huge metal boxes with some confusing text interface that’s impossible to decipher. Turn ‘em around and you stare into a thousand ports with each their own weird abbreviation slapped on top. SA1 is different. SA1 understands.
This small box packs only the stuff you need, nothing more. Connect your speakers, power it on, pair with Bluetooth, and you’re good to go.
REVIEWS OF SA1
Argon Audio SA1 is a true stereo amplifier with all the classic virtues with a few digital added on top. It handles everything from vinyl to wireless streaming, and it almost begs to be placed next to the TV alongside a pair of good speakers. The sound is outstanding for the price and the looks are discreet.
The SA1 is another proof that great Hi-Fi can be very affordable. The specifications and performance match integrated amplifiers that cost at least twice as much. There is enough punch from the low to high tones with a very nice and detailed soundstage. An outright recommendation.
The Agon Audio SA1 is a clear recommendation! Lively sound is combined with good performance values and well-thought-out connectivity. An integrated amplifier for modern demands, which is also available at a more than fair price.
Grade: 1.0 | Class: Entry-level | Price/Performance: Excellent
Except for the lack of network capability, the SA1 is a fully-featured amplifier with an incredibly rich, full and warm sound. There’s proper reserves for less efficient speakers, very good finish and smart industrial design.
- Output power: 2 x 40 watts in 4/8 ohms (20-20,000Hz, THD 0.03%)
- Dynamic power (IHF) in 8 ohms: 50 watts
- Dynamic power (IHF) in 4 ohms: 100 watts
- Frequency range: 3-60,000 Hz
- Inputs: 2 x optical digital (supports up to 24-bit/192kHz), L/R analogue stereo input (RCA), turntable input (MM), Bluetooth 4.2 (aptX HD and AAC)
- Pre-out for subwoofer or external amplification
- 32-bit ESS Sabre DAC in fully balanced mode
- Fully balanced signal path from DAC to speaker terminals
- Separate power supplies for analogue and digital circuits (6 in total)
- Auto on/off on all inputs except phono
- 5V USB power output (use it for Chromecast Audio for example)
- Gold-plated terminals
- Electronically protected against overload and short circuits
- What's in the box: remote control, power cable, quick start guide
- Power consumption in standby: <0.5 watts
- Size: 22.0 x 6.3 x 25.2 cm (WxHxD)
- Weight: 2.2 kg